What will you be giving as gifts this holiday season?
Are you searching for more meaning in your gift giving?
Want to enjoy shopping in a festive holiday atmosphere at a fun Moscow event? Or do you want to shop from the comfort of your own home on a secure web site?
Here are some suggestions to change the way you look at honoring friends and family during this special season of gift giving.
What to Get Someone Who Has Everything?
• Five linear feet of new trail surface on the Latah Trail for just a $5 donation.
• $5 grows a row of carrots, peas, or green beans for those in need through Backyard Harvest.
• Help build the 2012 Palouse Habitat for Humanity House with 1 pound of nails for only a $5 donation.
• $10 helps protect one pack of wolves born in the wild with Friends of the Clearwater.
• Bring folk, hip-hop, rap, indie rock, heavy metal, jazz, world beat, oldies, opera and more to the Palouse by supporting Radio Free Moscow, KRPF for just $5.
What to Get Animal Lovers
• Just $5 brightens the lives of dogs and cats at the Humane Society by purchasing treats and toys for their animals.
• Worm a horse for $8.95 at the Orphan Acres Horse Rescue facility.
Give a Gift that Makes Moscow a Better Place to Live
• Your gift of $5 can help the Palouse Land Trust preserve Palouse Prairie remnants.
• Prove it gets better by ensuring community access to the only drop-in community center for LGBTQI in the Palouse, Southeastern WA and north central Idaho area for just $5.
• Your $25 will help fund the annual Latah County Library's annual Everybody Reads program that brings prominent authors to our community.
• Sponsor a classroom for $25 to participate in the Alternative Giving Market and teach kids about giving.
• Help Good Samaritan Society – Moscow purchase a hospital grade blanket warmer cabinet for their older residents for $25.
Holiday Gifts to Help the World
• For $5 a baby sea turtle will be released into the Pacific Ocean with the Moscow High Environmental Club’s Sea Turtle Conservation Service Learning Project.
• Kids at the Haiti Matenwa School will eat three breakfasts per week for a month with your $15 donation to the Moscow High School’s sister school in Haiti through the work of the Moscow High School’s Human Rights and International Club.
• Give a school child in Sierra Leone or Ghana a bicycle for $25 with the Village Bicycle Project, which enables them to continue their education by providing transportation to school.
Holiday Gifts that Give Kids a Chance
• Your $5 can buy two new books for beginning readers from limited-income families through the First Book program.
• Welcome new babies with a gift of newborn necessities for a specially made “Baby Bundle” from Palouse Care Network, Inc. for $10.
• Help purchase warm pajamas for a needy child in Latah County this Christmas through Christmas for Kids through your $10 gift.
• A gift of fun, fresh air and an obstacle course of adventure on a new playground for $20 to help Moscow Charter School build a new playground at their school.
Give the Gift of Creativity
• Glue, glitter, paint, pencils, pastels and paper used to inspire the 1500 K-12 students that visit the UI Prichard Art Gallery every year for $5.
• $5 helps bring four days of music, art, children’s programs and fun to the Palouse with Rendezvous in Moscow, Inc.
• Just $10 sends a child to a PCEI outdoor education program.
• Help the Palouse Choral Society bring more orchestra accompanied performances to the Palouse with your $15 gift.
• Provide transportation to community events to help a Member of My Own Home stay engaged in the community and live in their homes as they grow older for $15.
Give Someone A Helping Hand this Holiday Season
• Only $5 provides a day of food for an individual at the Sojourners’ Alliance food bank.
• Help a resident of the Palouse living with HIV see an HIV specialist in Spokane with a $5 donation for the Palouse HIV Consortium to purchase a gas card.
• $25 will allow the residents of the Alliance House to prepare and share a healthy and nutritious meal.
• Just $10 provides free, 24-7 access to trained advocates at Alternatives to Violence of the Palouse who answer the most important call of a victim’s life.
• Give those in crisis situations a voucher for in-store items at the HOPE Center Thrift Store for $10.